Monday, February 12, 2007

New Media vs. Old Media

I recently read a blog post entitled "We only have a finite amount of time on our hands" that discussed the weight of You Tube and other new types of media on the world today. Basically, it said that there just aren't enough hours in the day to see everything. With all the new entertainment and information choices, the older forms of media are suffering a downfall.

Believe me, I understand the time constraints that most of us live under. Between school, work, job searching, spending time with friends and family and everything else there just never seems to be enough time in the day. However, no matter how busy I am I always seem to find time to do something that I enjoy. I will find a way to do something for myself, even if I just sit down and watch TV for half an hour or surf the Internet for awhile. I think it's important, not just to me, but to a lot of people. That's why I think there will be room for the new media options without completely wiping out the old ones. People can take some time and listen to podcasts and watch You Tube, but I bet they won't give up their favorite TV show in favor of them. I know I wouldn't.

While I agree that these new types of media pose some competition for the older types, I think variety is good. New technology is great. It's important to be able to get your information from several different sources. However, I do not think that these new types of media will edge out TV, newspapers and radio shows.

Also, TV allows you to multitask. People can do almost anything while watching TV. They can make dinner, do homework, clean, etc. while having the TV on for entertainment or background noise. But it would be much harder to do those things while surfing the Internet or watching You Tube.

No comments: